How to Find/Keep Spirituality


During this quarantining time I thought it was time for a new blog post. One thing that has been on my mind and heart over the past few months is how to continue to invite spirituality and God into my life. A typical church service has lately been more hurtful than helpful to me, but I still want to have that quiet, spiritual time, you know? Those moments where you search inwardly to learn more about yourself and outwardly to connect with humanity. I love spiritual moments. So this post is to share resources I've used to find that spirituality and supplement my Sunday morning walks. However, I'm still searching for how best to do it myself, so any other ideas are appreciated (please leave in the comments!). Basically I want everyone to know that, if you don't want to, you don't have to give up spirituality just because going to church doesn't feel so great.  <3

PODCASTS

  • PREACH - One of my favorites right now. The host is Mormon, which is great and relatable for some of the stories he tells, but it's not about Mormonism. He speaks "to people of all religions  about living in the messy middle when it comes to faith." It's awesome to hear how different people wrestle with life's big questions.
    • Recommended episodes: "Peter Sagal on the Practice of Persistence" and "Jeannie Gaffigan on Faith and Funny People"
  • SECULAR BUDDHISM - Maybe it was my mission in Japan, but I've become super interested in Buddhism. It's hosted by another former Mormon, who starts every podcast with a quote from the Dalai Lama: "Do not try to use Buddhism to be a Buddhist; use it to be a better whatever-you-already-are." The podcast touches on just wonderful life principles that help you better handle the good and bad times in life and to just be more mindful in your every day.
    • Recommended episodes: there are over 100 episodes on a host of different topics, but I'd say start with the first few episodes where he lays out the foundations of Buddhism that really carry through the remainder of the episodes.
  • ON BEING WITH KRISTA TIPPETT- probably the longest running podcast/public radio show on spirituality/religion, Krista talks with guests about all kinds of meaningful topics, not just spirituality - science, relationships, art, etc. 
  • UNLOCKING US WITH BRENE BROWN - Brene Brown is the queen of everything (I also recommend her Netflix special), and though I haven't listened to this yet, I'm super excited about it. It's meant to "unpack and explore the ideas, stories, experiences, books, films, and music that reflect the universal experiences of being human, from the bravest moments to the most brokenhearted."
  • MORMON LAND - this one is run by the Salt Lake Tribune and can be rough at times if you're really having trouble with the Church, but it objectively looks at all the main "Mormon" issues that come up. It's refreshing to hear both sides of an issue and helps me feel not so crazy about my concerns or "issues" with the issues :) 
    • Recommended episodes: Episode 70 - Jana Riess talks politics, LGBTQ issues and her landmark findings on LDS millennials. Episode 76 - The LDS Church's LGBTQ policy: How it came to be and why it went away. Episode 78 - A Latter-day Saint therapist on why sex isn't just about making babies. <-- great conversation about the law of chastity!
Good friends make me feel spiritual things. This was after we met Taylor, not us getting engaged.
*Correction: I'm a Warriors fan
OTHER THINGS
  • HYMNS - I actually still really like listening to hymns on my walks and find peace in them, though I had to take a break for a bit. Other great listens: The Lower Lights, Ben Rector, Pixar soundtracks (seriously, check them out), and the Taylor Swift Fearless album (basically my religion).
  • PEOPLE! - finding a group of people that I can talk to about this stuff has been the most helpful. Ask your close friends about what they believe in, no matter where they're at or what religion they're a part of. It's fun to be honest and open and hear how other people are grappling with these things. It's also fun to mainly listen. 
  • FACETIMING - this one is similar to the one above, and for me it's with my family. I find when I call a loved one on Sunday, it feels very "spiritual." It takes me outside myself and allows me to genuinely see how those I love are doing. Human connection is awesome.
  • PRAYING WHERE YOU'RE AT - my prayers have changed a bit recently, and I find I just let myself pray in the mindset I'm at. I don't pray as often, I'm not as formal as I used to be, I'm a bit more frank about things and I bring up my doubts. Sometimes I don't start with "Heavenly Father" or end with "in the name of Jesus Christ." But I'm trying to not let that stop me from praying if I want to, you know? And if you don't want to, don't. I don't think it's something we have to make ourselves do if it's more hurtful than harmful.
  • MUSIC! - I'm the least musically talented person, but I recently started learning and playing the ukulele and it is so soothing! Letting feelings out through music is something I think is inherent in humans, and it's a great therapeutic activity that can be for just you (no need to perform if you don't want to).
Anyways, those are just a handful of things you can do. I'd say also just take it easy on yourself. I've tried to understand and accept that religion, faith, spirituality are more of a process than ever a finished result, and that's kind of exciting to me. I appreciate all I've learned and where it's taken me and helped me experience. And I'm excited to continue learning. Thanks for listening! Leave any thoughts or comments you'd like.

Comments

Popular Posts